The Piano Studio at Mountain View, South Pasadena.
Hi! Thanks for visiting Kait's studio page. If you are interested in taking lessons or finding out more information, please use the contact form below, or write to kait (at) kaitdunton.com
About the studio:
Kait is a classically-trained jazz pianist and composer with an equally varied piano studio. She teaches students of many different ages and interests, including classical piano, jazz piano & theory, songwriting, music theory, general musicianship and beginning piano.
Here are some examples of current "classes":
- Jazz piano: Emphasis on harmony & theory, aural skills, and interpreting lead sheets.
- Classical piano: Technique, repertoire & theory.
- Composition: Jazz, classical or pop. For any instrument or voice. Creating and performing personal repertoire.
- Beginning piano: Starting from the very beginning, learning the names of the notes on the piano and how to read music. Repertoire and technique.
- General music comprehension: The piano is used as a learning tool to gain a greater understanding of and appreciation for music, with less focus on performance technique.
- Jazz piano for vocalists: Learning how to accompany oneself on the piano using jazz harmony.
- Music theory: Learning the basic building blocks of music via the piano for use in composition, improvisation or analysis.
Kait's teaching philosophy:
My teaching philosophy is one of flexibility, with a focus on comprehensive musical development. I strive to provide a unique experience for each student, with an emphasis on musical growth. There is no specific way to "learn music", and every student has different interests, desires, strengths & weaknesses. As such, I do not use a specific method, other than the method of feedback, encouragement and guidance. There is also no age at which music ceases to be relevant: my students range in age from 5 to 65! Although lessons are piano-centered (using the piano as the main teaching instrument), the studio is not exclusive to those students seeking to become accomplished pianists. Rather, the studio is open to anyone seeking to expand their musicianship and musical understanding via the piano. I am particularly passionate about teaching music theory at the piano. Music theory is the gateway to a deeper understanding of music, and is essential for anyone seeking to learn how to compose or improvise. As such, in addition to traditional piano lessons - with an emphasis on technique and repertoire - I also teach other subjects such as jazz piano (jazz theory & improvisation), composition, and general music theory (music comprehension).
Classically trained for 15 years, Kait found her true passion in college where she discovered jazz and composition, later earning both a Masters and a Doctor of Musical Arts in Jazz Piano. She has released three albums of original music as a leader and has received various accolades throughout the industry. A full performance bio is available on her website. As an educator, she has been teaching private piano lessons for over a decade. In the collegiate arena, she was a teaching assistant at the University of North Texas and at USC's Thornton School of Music, an instructor at Musician's Institute and at Chaffey College, and now heads the piano department at Los Angeles College of Music (LACM) in Pasadena. Kait is an alum of Polytechnic School and is a proud Pasadena native.
- USC Thornton School of Music: Doctor of Musical Arts (DMA) in Jazz with an emphasis in composition and pedagogy.
- University of North Texas: Masters in Jazz Piano Performance
- University of Virginia: BA in Spanish
To contact Kait with questions, or to schedule your first lesson, please fill out the following and hit "submit":